2015 Travel Journal: Franklin, TN


Last weekend found my sister and me jumping on a plane to surprise some of our closest friends (I think we've known them for almost ten years now). After a few months of almost letting our secret slip and spoiling the surprise, we made it to Tennessee and met them at a cafe. We hid at a corner table for about twenty minutes, looking awkward and suspicious until they walked in and we nonchalantly walked up and asked what they would suggest from the menu. Their faces were priceless; there were a few tears, a lot of big hugs and so much joy.

The weekend consisted of (among other things) catching up, getting really competitive at frisbee, all kinds of dining experiences, exploring downtown, and anything you would imagine that girls would do at a sleepover. I also began to come alive with my camera in hand again; I haven't shot much lately, but as I documented our time there, I remembered how much I love visual story telling.

I'm always thankful for the chance to see more of the good ol' US of A, and this was no exception. It was fun to see the rolling hills of Tennessee & its most amazing young women, and interact with strangers who were unusually friendly. I guess that's the south-- always friendly and hospitable. And at the end of the day, it was good to come back to the Midwest, where my roots are deep. The more I travel, the more I love both the adventure of exploration and the return to the flatlands and open skies that I call home.

























No comments:

Post a Comment