Lately



{Some random bits of joy + beauty from my week}

-In 6th grade Bible study this week, a sweet, sweet girl said this:

"It's really exciting because tomorrow at school we're going to hypothesize how the solar system was made and I'm going to bring up Genesis 1:1."

Gosh, the steadfast, fearless love for the Lord that these young girls have is so encouraging!

-I've gotten to watch my first impressions of my classmates shatter as I walk through the semester and I love it. People are just so exciting to me; their complexities and gifts and unexpected soft spots leave me wondering and marveling and smiling for no good reason. In one class we took the Strengthsfinder test and came to find out that over half of the people in the class have empathy in their top five strengths. Person after person began to open up about how their different strengths (& corresponding weaknesses) affect them; it was surprising and sweet to see tenderness in those from whom I least expected it. And as we were given the chance to speak honestly and vulnerably about different qualities and downfalls, walls started to fall down and I suddenly felt closer to every stranger in the room. All in all, it was a reminder of the fact that we all have a story and offering someone the chance to tell theirs can be an incredible gift.

-I'm discovering my need for silence; it has a profound effect. At my college library, there are certain areas that are dead silent. My first instinct is usually to put on my headphones and chill out, but I came to realize how restful it can be to just soak up the silence, since it's so rare. Often the Lord speaks in the silence and I need to make room for that.

What little bits of joy + beauty have you experienced lately?

1 comment:

  1. I have found the same thing about silence in my college library, too. I always used to pull out headphones, but I have been learning to enjoy and embrace the total silence as I cannot get that anywhere else on campus.

    ReplyDelete